The Garden and Grounds
St. Paul’s Church benefits from some beautiful grounds surrounding the church. They are the last gardens in Covent Garden! They are the former burial grounds of the church, which were closed to burial, by Act of Parliament, in 1852. At that point, the headstones were removed and the grounds laid out as gardens.
In recent years, we have restored the whole area and added new features. For example, on the North Side, there is a spectacular new sculpture, ‘The Conversion of St. Paul’. This was gifted to the church by the sculptor, Bruce Dennis, and was unveiled by Dame Judi Dench DBE in 2015.
On the South Side, there is the ‘Diamond Jubilee Garden’, created to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of HM The Queen. It was opened by HRH, The Duchess of Gloucester, on behalf of Her Majesty, on 25 September 2013. It features a giant maze (do have a go at solving it), in the centre of which is a reproduction of Her Majesty’s image, as seen on the 1953 (old) One Penny Piece.
Throughout the whole area you will find many benches gifted in memory of members of the theatre profession and others.
Do feel free to relax, but do, please, respect the sacred nature of these grounds at all times.